Thursday, October 8, 2009

What now?

Has the bayanihan spirit died down already? I am becoming hopeless. Everyone who was spared from the flood are settling down already. I'm back to writing papers, studying for my finals, and doing my projects. Helping out at the relief centers can only be done during convenient breaks. The world has to go on again. It doesn't stop for everyone. What now?

I feel bad for the victims of Ondoy. If I were in their position, I'd probably break down not knowing what to do next. What do we do next? Just last week, my friends and I had this dream of creating a non-biased website whose main goal was to become a center for disseminating information to relief centers and evacuation centers of each others needs, suggestions, comments, and anything of use so that it'd be easier to communicate and coordinate (para walang sobra at walang kulang). Well today, I don't really know. If I feel helpless and hopeless about trying to help rebuild lives, what more the others-- those who need the help?

My friend Cookie sent this really great idea:
"I found something that'll take us one step closer to rebuilding lives: URGENT REPOST: 'Google Spreadsheet users - we need your help in creating an online database of evacuees' professions to help them find work again. Pls reply to this post if u can help or refer to us someone who can. Thanks!!!' "


To which a pessimistic yet realistic friend of mine commented on by saying:
"Dude, don't you think that by now something good would've happened to this country with regards to that? The sad truth is, there will always and forever be unemployed people."

To which I thought:
Thank you for pointing that out, but for now, I'd rather focus on the positive. There is no time for being pessimistic and blaming other people. There is only time for looking for solutions. But as of now, I'm hopeless. How can you really help fix this?

Please do comment. Let's brainstorm together.

No comments:

Post a Comment